Full Moon Times                              Daily & Sabbat Info                              Monthly Cycles    
gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Witchforum.net - Home of The Inner Sanctum Pagan Forum, serving the Pagan community since Ostara 2000.

gfx gfx
gfx
317725 Posts in 19061 Topics by 15749 Members - Latest Member: ZoilaW37 November 24, 2014, 12:53:31 AM
gfx*HomeHelpChatMessagesLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Why and how do you call the corners?  (Read 3849 times)
shyarn
The Enchanting

Hi, I'm *Shy* Blessed Be!!

Awards
« on: May 27, 2010, 08:07:51 PM »

Why do you call whatever direction you do with whatever element you do?  because you read it in a book? Were taught to by a mentor? Learned it in a forum? Or because it feels "right" to you?

Do you cross masculine with masculine and feminine with feminine? or cross masculine with feminine, and have them side by side ex:

........M
F.............F
.......M

or

......M

M........F
....F

or do you call based upon the properties of the elements? the locations of the elements relevant to where you are?

just wondering. and questioning.

A green witch is a woman of power,
whose religion is her life, whose life
is her art, and whose art is the wise
use of GREEN. ~Susun Weed

If there is one thing I would want to be remembered for it's passion and enthusiasm.  conservation is my job, my life, my whole being." Steve Irwin, may he never be forgotten.

I am not perfect, I am not all knowing. I can be sarcastic. I can be rude. I can also be helpful and kind and caring. I seek knowledge. I seek wisdom. I seek truths. I seek inner peace. I seek my life path. I seek patience. I seek to be closer to the divine. I will ask for help. I will ask when I do not know. I will not judge. I will not condemn. I am human.
ThunderWolf
The Blessed

My karma ran over my chameleon.

WWW Awards
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 08:22:02 PM »

I do it the way I learned from Cunningham's Wicca: A Guide for the Solitary Practitioner. So much of what I took from that book just felt so right that the other stuff (like this) I just learned that way and kept it up.

Tarot by ThunderWolf

"We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound. Our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music--in a flash of color. We live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star."
~Agnes Moorehead as Endora
shyarn
The Enchanting

Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2010, 09:25:28 PM »

but WHY. Why does cunningham say to call it the way he does? whats the reasoning?  where di he learn it?

If there is one thing I would want to be remembered for it's passion and enthusiasm.  conservation is my job, my life, my whole being." Steve Irwin, may he never be forgotten.

I am not perfect, I am not all knowing. I can be sarcastic. I can be rude. I can also be helpful and kind and caring. I seek knowledge. I seek wisdom. I seek truths. I seek inner peace. I seek my life path. I seek patience. I seek to be closer to the divine. I will ask for help. I will ask when I do not know. I will not judge. I will not condemn. I am human.
shyarn
The Enchanting

Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2010, 09:26:14 PM »

*and as soon as i get the stupid icing dye stains off my fingers i'll do your reading lol.

ThunderWolf
The Blessed

WWW Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2010, 09:39:11 PM »

LOL You didn't ask for that explanation! You just asked us why we do it the way we do! Teehee!

Tarot by ThunderWolf

"We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound. Our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music--in a flash of color. We live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star."
shyarn
The Enchanting

Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2010, 09:40:57 PM »

lol. touche. BUT.. if you do it the way he does it, then your why would be his why, maybe?

shyarn
The Enchanting

Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2010, 09:42:25 PM »

i find it funny.... ancient cultures from all over had 4 and 5 elements in some kind of shape for ritual/prayer/worship.... wate, earth, air, fire, and sometimes iron/metal, spirit, etc... even though many had no connections to each other.

Lady_of_Winters
The Enchanting

Awards
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2010, 02:50:51 AM »

i learned from cunningham's books as well.
As for his why..I don't think we'll know unless he wrote it down. Many people association times of day with directions and the element that could have brought about those associations.

The Goddess loves
Lenadi
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2010, 03:00:02 AM »

Why do people pray? Cast spells? Why do Christians beg to God? To get help and aide and whatnot. Same with calling the corners: they way Cunningham describes it is a way to call them protectively.

On the note about cultures having roughly the same elements, I live in Australia. The Indigenous Aborigines here use SMOKE to clear evil spirits away. They've been here, all alone, for more than 60,000 years.....does the smoke thing sound familiar? lol
shyarn
The Enchanting

Awards
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2010, 06:24:19 AM »

haha. native americans in north and south america have used smoke since only the gods kow when as well. im pretty sure they had no connections in ancient times to the aboriginees.

So basically its the same for you LoW and thunderwolf... you do it that way because cunningham does... does the fact that he does it make it right? in galveston, tx there is a coven that calls water south, land north, fire west and air east because of the actual location to those elements (the ocean is south, etc...)

I've heard theories that the golden dawn, when they finally let some of their "secrets: out, switched the elements around, so that not everyone would call the way they do or cast the exact way they do.

Babylonians had sea west, sky north, earth south, wind west.
hindus have wind north, fire east, earth south, water west.
chinese have wood north, fire east, earth southeast, metal south west and water east.
tibetan have air north, fire east, earth south, water west with space as the center.

so why do most people call it fire to the fire to the south, water to the wast, air to the north and land to the east? who says whats right? why was one way chosen to be more "correct" than the other? and why does nobody question WHY we call the corners the way we do?

blue_eyed_witch
Heathen

Awards
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2010, 07:07:57 AM »

I learned about it by reading many books.  But I call my corners as a way of protecting me in my circle.  I don't know if that is the correct way but that is my way.
Lenadi
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2010, 07:09:02 AM »

See, I label the elementas in different directions. But there is a simple answer, if you consider the following:
Which direction do you call the Goddess/God from?
None, of course. The God and Goddess are everyone (or in the moon, in some traditions). Would calling Water West be practical if you lived in California? The Elemenats are everywhere, one must simply call them from whicheever direction is easiest.
And nobody questions why we believe its right? Nobody questions why the sun is yellow, either. It's how it is. The actual direction doesn't matter: it's the intent.
This is Magic, shyarn. What is the 'right' way? Every way. For don't all paths lead to the center? Tongue
shyarn
The Enchanting

Awards
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2010, 07:15:49 AM »

Lol. my point is not ACTUALLY about calling the corners. its about the fact that most people will get a book on wicca (beginners really) read it, and automatically assume its the right way, when they should question tactics and methods and whys to figure out what they think is right for themselves versus what someone else tells them is right. Not right as in.. the only way but right as in each person is different,and each persons ways of working magic or communicating or thinking is different. If no two people are the same, why would something as personal as magic be the same?

ThunderWolf
The Blessed

WWW Awards
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2010, 01:05:20 PM »

I've read many different ideas of calling the quarters over the years. I no longer call them for protection, but rather to give their special kind of aid to my rite. As for the exact directions being the correct correspondences, when we're in circle we're in a place out of place and a time out of time. So the directions really aren't even an issue. They're just a point of reference from the "outside world" (so to speak). It helps us keep it organized in our minds when we do it from the same direction each time, and it really doesn't matter what direction we actually use so long as it works for us. So if we stick with what we first read when beginning...no harm, no foul.

Tarot by ThunderWolf

Lenadi
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2010, 03:02:34 PM »

Any actual Wiccan or Magical text should always explain that the practitioner should do what they feel is right. Otherwise, it's just how people are. You pick up a newspaper and read an article, and the chances are you'll believe it. A Christian will pick up the bible and believe it. Just Human nature to put our trust in someone else.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx gfx
Content & Graphics © 2000-2013 TheMagickSprite. All Rights Reserved.