Yule deities

(1/2) > >>

CatWitch:
I know we can find the list of Yule deities on almost every pagan site, but there is a thing that bothers me a bit. Different web sites give different correspondences. The Yule is coming and I want to make an altar with the main deity of the Yule, but I can't seem to choose the proper deity.

This really bothers me cause I couldn't celebrate the Yule last year and I want to make everything right this years. Which Yule deity/deities can I include in my ritual this year?

BB
CatWitch

AnkhWL:
*blink*

How do you have a Yule deity? Since when is a god restricted to a relatively new pagan holiday? In fact I think the only culture where a god could be considered tied to Yule would be some sort of Celtic culture (not sure on which one, though). But even then thats stretching it.

*scratches head* Yule is a holiday and it does not in the least require a deity to worship or honour to celebrate it. Whichever gods you honor should be involved if they are involved in your Wiccan (I'm assuming) practices, and if you don't have any thats fine.

fiamma:
Quote from: AnkhWL on December 12, 2007, 03:48:41 PM

*blink*

How do you have a Yule deity? Since when is a god restricted to a relatively new pagan holiday? In fact I think the only culture where a god could be considered tied to Yule would be some sort of Celtic culture (not sure on which one, though). But even then thats stretching it.

*scratches head* Yule is a holiday and it does not in the least require a deity to worship or honour to celebrate it. Whichever gods you honor should be involved if they are involved in your Wiccan (I'm assuming) practices, and if you don't have any thats fine.

Well...to be fair, Yule is actually a very old celebration...for the Norse folks anyway (The Celts did not have Yule.). Though I don't know that any of their deities were specifically associated with Yule (I could be wrong, but I don't think so)

fiamma:
Quote from: Lark on December 12, 2007, 06:39:49 PM

There are many Deities who are associated with the Winter Solstice.  Osiris, Dionyesius, Mithras all come to mind.

The rural Dionysia was held around the time of the winter solstice (though not usually on the same day- the ancient Greeks followed a lunar calender so it varied) though that festival had nothing to do with Dionysus as a resurrected god so I'm not sure if that would work so well for the Neopagan idea of Yule- I don't know if there are any festivals revolving around Dionysus's rebirth...but now I'm curious and will have to find out.

In the matter of strictly celebrating the Winter Solstice (not Yule), I'm personally toying with the idea of a ritual in honor of Nyx during the night, and one in honor of Helios in the morning. I also know of some folks planning to hold rituals in honor of Apollo for the retuning of the light of the sun though for me, Helios is *the* sun god.

AnkhWL:
Quote from: fiamma on December 12, 2007, 07:41:53 PM

Quote from: AnkhWL on December 12, 2007, 03:48:41 PM

*blink*

Well...to be fair, Yule is actually a very old celebration...for the Norse folks anyway (The Celts did not have Yule.). Though I don't know that any of their deities were specifically associated with Yule (I could be wrong, but I don't think so)

Gah, I knew I got it wrong. I forgot where it had come from, and then made a guess.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page