Full Moon Times                              Daily & Sabbat Info                              Monthly Cycles    
gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Witchforum.net - Home of The Inner Sanctum Pagan Forum, serving the Pagan community since Ostara 2000.

gfx gfx
gfx
317685 Posts in 19054 Topics by 15749 Members - Latest Member: ZoilaW37 October 01, 2014, 03:12:12 AM
gfx*HomeHelpChatMessagesLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Incense smoke, is it harmful?  (Read 44091 times)
Bee
The Wise

Awards
« on: March 16, 2008, 02:05:18 AM »

I was wondering, is incense smoke harmful?  I burn incense everyday.  Or is it only bad for people with asthma and allergies?

Bless the fire through which we walk
Amethysta
High Witch

Pagan and Proud

WWW Awards
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2008, 05:15:06 AM »

Apart from the inconvenient hazard of excessive incense setting off smoke alarms...

Any process that produces small particles of matter such as burning (because that is what smoke is - particles of ash) that can be inhaled and ingested has the potential to cause harm where and if "consumed" in excess.

For example, tobacco can be used to enhance an incense blends, however, inhaling the smoke is effectively the same as passive smoking - the effects of which are well known and scientifically documented; this is also why when specific substances are burnt and inhaled, a specific conciously controlled altered state of mind can be induced.

The human lung does have ability to naturally cleanse itself from what it regards as irritating micro-matter inhaled, however they are not regenerative organs and perhaps more thought ought to be given to what we breathe in every day and the potential future consequences for our health - smoke is a form of pollution after all.

I know not of any conclusive study with regard to sensible incence useage and health effects, however, do not be surprised if in the not too distant future you find a Government advisory on your next pack of Nag Champa.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2008, 05:17:10 AM by Amethysta » Logged

"My darling girl when are you going to understand that being normal is not necessarily a virtue, it rather denotes a lack of courage."
- Aunt Frances (Stockard Channing), Practical Magic
Bee
The Wise

Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2008, 06:19:38 AM »

Lol, I hope not!  I rather like Nag Champa!

Odjn
The Wise

Don't presume to know what I think or how I feel.

WWW Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2008, 12:43:16 PM »

The only time I have heard that it can be harmful is if the mixture contains too much salt peter...sometimes the really cheap mixtures contain sawdust and other stuff.

It's best to buy a good brand like "Gonesh"....they have some good stuff!

P.S..Nag Champa is really good,especially the Sai Baba brand.

SingingBear
The Blessed

Will you say grace?

Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2008, 01:11:39 PM »

I would imagine there are a number of people who have Allergic reactions to certain types of incense. Due to an allergy to one of the ingredients.
I would also imagine that if given enough time some one in some medical research facility would indeed find a host of Medical reasons to warn us about with Incense.
It has also been my experience that somethings in excess can, A: Set off Smoke Detectors, B: Stink to high heaven in a bad way and C: cause curious looks from the neighbors of your Apartment.
In the case of A, even the toaster can do it so be careful how much you put on the censer.
In the case of B, Balm of Gilead, Great for protection spells, but is reminiscent of old gym socks and fecal matter combined when burned.
In the case of C, well who cares what the neighbors think?

“We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.” ~Native American Proverb

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mark-Bear-Digatono/158009384218933

http://www.reverbnation.com/singingbearakamarkdigatono
Bee
The Wise

Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2008, 09:31:05 AM »

Lol, I hope not!  I rather like Nag Champa!

Ah yes, Nag Champa and unwashed bodies - the scent of the 1960's!

-Lark-

Lol, I would have made a very bad hippie… I like to bath!  So does Nag Champa make smelly armpits smell better or worse?  Tongue

Norn
Covener

I'm my own world

Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2008, 10:40:00 AM »

I wouldn't worry, Smoking from a cig or pot is more harmful that incense smoke....

Incense gives off only 4.1 of smoke then a cig
that amount of smoke from incense isn't even large enough to harm a mouse....

want to see what purposely inhale smoke does to your lungs? It's not pretty
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaeJUCVEp2s#0z3qvaxvXP4

Polaris
The Wise

All is One and Inter-connected!

Awards
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2008, 10:29:10 PM »

This is a good question...Thank you for asking it...I love burning incense..But, I get a horrible headache from it..I try to ignore the headache, but now, I am putting the incense stick as far away as possible from me..But, I feel I am missing it´s elemental power. How can I keep enjoying the incense without it´s painful side effects?..By the way, I use all natural perfumed incense.

Conceive of God in terms of universal Nature--a nature God in whom we really live and move and have our being, with who our relation is as intimate and constant as that of the babe in its mother’s womb, or the apple upon the bough.  This is the God that science and reason reveal to us--the God we touch with our hands, see with our eyes, hear with our ears, and from whom there is no escape, who is, indeed, from everlasting to everlasting.

John Burroughs
LADYWOLF
The All Knowing

Awards
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2008, 03:48:34 AM »

This is a good question...Thank you for asking it...I love burning incense..But, I get a horrible headache from it..I try to ignore the headache, but now, I am putting the incense stick as far away as possible from me..But, I feel I am missing it´s elemental power. How can I keep enjoying the incense without it´s painful side effects?..By the way, I use all natural perfumed incense.

It may be that it is just too stronge for you. i get migranes if i burn too much or sit too close to my incense. I may also be an allergic reaction to it. May not to the actule incense but the smoke it makes.  I have found that i also can not sit too close to it. Or if i do then i get one that is not overly stronge. Hope this helps.

BB
Ladywolf

GentleWater07
The Wise

"But why is the rum gone?"

Awards
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2008, 06:07:39 PM »

Talking about incense (sorry if I'm hijacking the thread or something, but it does tie in with it!!), is there a brand that is better then others? I know Odjn said Gonesh was good, anyone else have recommendations and a brand they prefer?

()__()
(='.'=)
(")_(")

This is Bunny. He says:
"I've got a jar of dirt! I've got a jar of dirt!"
-- Jack Sparrow (Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest)
Hagred
The Blessed

Hagred

Awards
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2008, 05:29:46 PM »

It depends if you are allergic to smoke. Some people really are, whether incense, cigs, pot, a smokey fire or car fumes.

I do not think you should get paranoic about incense being harmful to health, after all how often are you exposed to it? during meditation, ritual, once a day or once a month?  If you live in a large city, compare what you are breathing in day and night from non-stop traffic!

I think if your body doesn't complain then I don't think much harm is being done.  Use it less if you end up with migraines and other discomfort.

If you are allergic to smoke and don't want to miss out on the perfumed atmosphere of ritual, meditation etc, consider using an essential oil vaporizer - the kind that is used in aromatherapy.  There are many oil mixes with different perfumes and energies and the up side of this is no smoke!

I have been in meditation sessions where some people couldn't stand smoke and substituting the usual Nag Champa stick with a vaporizer worked a treat!  Another up for the vaporizer - no black cob-webs hanging from the ceiling fixtures.

Bright Blessings,

Hagred
nikkiwitch
The Wise

Awards
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2008, 10:45:48 AM »

Great advice Hagred. now I won't have to aggravate my mygraines for a spell I must do. Thanyou.
EtheldredaSevera
High Witch

Glory of Mercury

Awards
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2008, 06:17:23 AM »

As a general pro tip, if you're burning a large amount of incense, it's a good idea to leave a window open for ventilation. I didn't do that and ended up with a room that looked like Cheech Marin was my roommate.

Many Paths, One Light.

Your heart is a beacon, follow its light,
Surely you will find the path that is right.

You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star. - Friedrich Nietzsche
Polaris
The Wise

All is One and Inter-connected!

Awards
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2008, 06:51:12 AM »

I am all over the vaporizer idea....but.....I thought it was the fire/smoke that created the incense´s description for the air element.  But, I totally see heated oil vaporized and filing up the room as a definate alternative. Thanx Hagred Smiley

Conceive of God in terms of universal Nature--a nature God in whom we really live and move and have our being, with who our relation is as intimate and constant as that of the babe in its mother’s womb, or the apple upon the bough.  This is the God that science and reason reveal to us--the God we touch with our hands, see with our eyes, hear with our ears, and from whom there is no escape, who is, indeed, from everlasting to everlasting.

John Burroughs
Suzie Q
The All Knowing

Live life as though someone just opened the gate

Awards
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2010, 02:07:14 PM »

I revisted this thread, as I have had some problems with my chest etc. and what you say Hagred is right on the button.  bravo_2

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx gfx
Content & Graphics © 2000-2013 TheMagickSprite. All Rights Reserved.