Full Moon Times                              Daily & Sabbat Info                              Monthly Cycles    
gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Witchforum.net - Home of The Inner Sanctum Pagan Forum, serving the Pagan community since Ostara 2000.

gfx gfx
gfx
317735 Posts in 19065 Topics by 15748 Members - Latest Member: ZoilaW37 December 19, 2014, 08:18:46 PM
gfx*HomeHelpChatMessagesLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Eight pointed star  (Read 3894 times)
nikkiwitch
The Wise

Awards
« on: May 09, 2008, 03:09:48 PM »

several years ago I was attracted to an eight pointed star pendant. another witch told me it was bad.,so i didnt wear it. can
anybody tell me what an eight pointed star really means?
Amethysta
High Witch

Pagan and Proud

WWW Awards
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008, 03:33:01 PM »

Whilst not confusing this with the seven pointed septagram which is often worn by astrologists as representative of the seven planets of our solar system; there is nothing inherently bad about an eight pointed octagram.  In fact the number 8 is considered fortunate in many cultures.

The most common definition I have come across for an eight pointed star is that it is a Sumerian symbol for Anu (god), or and including representation of Inanna (goddess of morning and evening) but it could also mean the four quarters and four cross quarters (the solar and the agricultural festivals) found in Wicca.

I suspect that this association may also lead to it being worn as an alternative to the more comonly recognised and often misunderstood five pointed pentagram.

"My darling girl when are you going to understand that being normal is not necessarily a virtue, it rather denotes a lack of courage."
- Aunt Frances (Stockard Channing), Practical Magic
ustijo
Practitioner

WWW Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 04:51:31 PM »

I don't know about the 8 pointed star but I know the 7 pointed star is sacred to the cherokee's as a repsentation of the 7 clans among other things.

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be Happy.  ~ Ben Franklin
Arx
The Wise

I am the Artist of my reality.

Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 05:31:02 PM »

The eight-pointed star is usually a symbol of the path of Chaos Magic (of which I myself am a humble practitioner). Chaos Magic, which can be consdered to be one of the very few Post Modern systems of magical practice and philosophy - along with Discordianism, Techno-shamanism, Techno-paganism, Reality Hacking and Psychonautics.

There is nothing "bad" about Chaos Magic, unless you're a die hard traditionalist or believe in holding undue respect for the past, in which case you might be a little pissy about the various philosophical stances of Chaos Magic. Chaos Magic basically endorses the stance that no paths are "righ" or inherently true and that all are simply a means to an end - spiritual and magical gnosic. A practitioner of Chaos Magic is encouraged to 'use' and indeed 'abuse' the traditions and rituals of any number of paths around the world to get it through one's head that all of magic is simply the use of intent, shaped and coloured by cultural beliefs. More specifically, that the specific practices hold no value in themselves except in so far as they can assist you, the practitioner in achieving gnosis.

Thus, a Chaos Magician may invoke the Wiccan God and Goddess as he uses a Christian Exorcism to banish the perceived "demons" harming his car, using such ritual tools as the Car Battery of energy and the threat of invoking the Grand High Car Repair God.

Chaos Magic also encourages the use of modern technology, arguing no special favouratism for natural or older products. A good Chaos Magician will be able to feel the power in a run down factory or a bustling city street as much as a forest glade or mountain peak, or use a computer as a magical tool for sending spells across the internet.

Chaos Magic is also about recognising that humour and laughter are just as much a part of magical practice as "respect" and "sombre behaviour". A Chaos Magician may invoke Anubis if only to have a few good laughs - after all, who's to say that the Gods themselves aren't just looking for a nice chat and a laugh or two anyway?

Chaos Magic also encourages the exploration of magic in whatever way the individual desires, be it exploring altered states of consciousness (meditation, psychadelic drugs, sleep deprivation). It is also a magical system with no moral foundation. Chaos Magic leaves morality up to the individual practitioner. It offers no threats of hell or retribution. It's view on the divine is that you use whatever view works best at the time - in thsi sense they have no actual stance bar seeing the divine as a means to an end. If believing Jesus is real will be useful for an exorcism ritual, then put all your belief into it. BUT, then go and believe the gods are nothing but thought-forms and utilise that. Chaos Magic above all else encourages that the magician should practice teaching his mind to use, endorse and drop a given belief as he sees fit.

The eight-pointed star itself is a nod to the Infinity symbol being a sideways figure '8' as well as the notion that Chaos Magic is about exploring all possibilities in all directions and never limiting what one can or cannot do.

But yeh, there's nothing bad about Chaos Magic. Unless you're a stuffy minded dead beat traditionalist  Tongue

-Arx-

Here, I learn what it is to be human. I am a creator of order, of beautiful shapes and systems, an organiser of chaos.
Abnoba
Thought Provoker

Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2008, 06:42:43 PM »

huh.

I was under the impression it was another pagan symbol representing the 8 sabbats, but whatever works Tongue

Watch Out, Here I come.
Amethysta
High Witch

Pagan and Proud

WWW Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2008, 02:46:04 AM »

The eight-pointed star is usually a symbol of the path of Chaos Magic ...

And very hard to wear upside down  Wink

Although just to clarify isnt the symbol for Chaos Magic two squares overlapping with 90 degree points, which is different from an octagram itself just being an eight sided polygon?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2008, 02:50:24 AM by Amethysta » Logged

"My darling girl when are you going to understand that being normal is not necessarily a virtue, it rather denotes a lack of courage."
Arx
The Wise

Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2008, 02:06:38 PM »

The eight-pointed star is usually a symbol of the path of Chaos Magic ...

And very hard to wear upside down  Wink

Although just to clarify isnt the symbol for Chaos Magic two squares overlapping with 90 degree points, which is different from an octagram itself just being an eight sided polygon?

Either/or. The emphasis seems to be on the 8 aspect. For the record, the 8-pointed star as a symbol of Chaos Magic is usually called the Chaos Star and was originally developed by the fantasy novelist Michael Moorcock as a symbol of infinite possibility (go random trivia). There's even a nice Wikipedia article on the Chaos Star here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symbol_of_Chaos

Here, I learn what it is to be human. I am a creator of order, of beautiful shapes and systems, an organiser of chaos.
nikkiwitch
The Wise

Awards
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2008, 03:23:32 PM »

Thanx ARX for the info on it , it sounds alittle complicated but yes I do utilise some of these things youre talking about maybe thats
why I was attracted to the star in the first place maybe I should study this subject alittle more maybe it is me.When people ask me
what I am I can never tell them anything but New Age because I utilize everything for magic not just one religion , dead relatives
planets,whatever. Is that sort of like it?
daecon
The Enchanting

Awards
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2008, 06:58:43 PM »

There’s two different symbols being talked about here.  First there’s the symbol of chaos, invented by Michael Moorcock.   Also known as the chaos star or the arrows of chaos, it has two variations, with or without a circle where the arrows meet. 

The original post,  though, asked about an eight pointed star.   There’s an eight pointed  unicursal star that’s sometimes used like a chaos star or as a summoning “pentagram” in chaos magic. 

There’s another type of 8 pointed star, the Star of Redemption in Christian symbology.  It’s used for the shape of baptismal fonts.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.    --Margaret Mead

There's a mugged leprechaun at the end of every rainbow. --shortpacked.com

A good magician never reveals how a trick is done.
An evil magician never leaves any evidence that there was a trick in the first place.
---Master Payne (Phil Foglio's Girl Genius)
nikkiwitch
The Wise

Awards
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2008, 07:12:47 PM »

My eight-pointed star is inside of a circle with equal sized points
Amethysta
High Witch

Pagan and Proud

WWW Awards
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2008, 01:21:25 AM »

I thought some illustration might be useful so here are some links to pages with the various forms of the symbols being discussed:

Originally I had understood nikkiwitch to be talking about (a) this symbol (picture link)

However, with the Chaos connection I suggested (b) two overlapping squares (picutre link) (not fom this particular site I might add which describes this as the Star of Lakshmi.

However, daecon has now supplied reference to (c) the eight arrowed star (picture link)

Nikkiwitch ... which is most like the symbol you have (a) (b) or (c) ?

Arx
The Wise

Awards
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2008, 01:42:02 AM »

My eight-pointed star is inside of a circle with equal sized points

If this is an 8-spoked "wheel", it could also be the Buddhist symbol of the eight-fold path. http://www.aimwell.org/Books/a_Cakka.gif

nikkiwitch
The Wise

Awards
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2008, 12:09:27 PM »

Amethysta, it is the first star you showed me but inside a circle,what could it mean?
Amethysta
High Witch

Pagan and Proud

WWW Awards
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2008, 03:57:49 PM »

Amethysta, it is the first star you showed me but inside a circle,what could it mean?

Well taking the circle on its own, which is a symbol of continuity - no beginning and no end - infinity, eternity, and when cast of the ground either focus of or protection from magical energies. 

Overlaying of one symbol on another is just a way of creating a composite symbol (or sigil) that has the properties of all the seperate component symbols.

One might say that the circle tempers and moderates  the sharp energies from the individual points thus giving a form of balance - but that is only a personal observation.

daecon
The Enchanting

Awards
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2008, 07:13:42 PM »

I thought some illustration might be useful so here are some links to pages with the various forms of the symbols being discussed:

Originally I had understood nikkiwitch to be talking about (a) this symbol (picture link)

However, with the Chaos connection I suggested (b) two overlapping squares (picutre link) (not fom this particular site I might add which describes this as the Star of Lakshmi.

However, daecon has now supplied reference to (c) the eight arrowed star (picture link)

Star (a) is the unicursal 8 pointed star that I've seen used in place of a pentagram.  Star (b) is the Star of Redemption used for baptismal fonts and in folk and religious art.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.    --Margaret Mead

There's a mugged leprechaun at the end of every rainbow. --shortpacked.com

A good magician never reveals how a trick is done.
An evil magician never leaves any evidence that there was a trick in the first place.
---Master Payne (Phil Foglio's Girl Genius)
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx gfx
Content & Graphics © 2000-2013 TheMagickSprite. All Rights Reserved.