Full Moon Times                              Daily & Sabbat Info                              Monthly Cycles    
gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Witchforum.net - Home of The Inner Sanctum Pagan Forum, serving the Pagan community since Ostara 2000.

gfx gfx
gfx
317631 Posts in 19048 Topics by 15750 Members - Latest Member: ZoilaW37 September 01, 2014, 04:11:36 AM
gfx*HomeHelpChatMessagesLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: High magic, low magic, what is the difference?  (Read 5970 times)
nikkiwitch
The Wise

Awards
« on: May 19, 2008, 01:26:30 PM »

I had a boyfiend tell me that all he practices is high magic and all I practice is low magic. Whats the difference?
SingingBear
The Blessed

Will you say grace?

Awards
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2008, 01:35:52 PM »

The real names should be Ceremonial and Earth Magic not High and Low Magic.
Ceremonial Magic is based on the Keys of Solomon and the Tree Of life, among other sources. It involves Summoning, and to my knowledge commanding  angels and demons and spirits. Excessively Ritualized and Very Demanding due to this it is not for me personally. It is also very Sigil and Seal connected meaning that these Sigils and Seals are used as Wards and Protections against all the beings one summons.
That is the extent of my knowledge of Ceremonial Magic. and it may or may not be accurate due to the fact that it is very Generalized.
Look up Crowley, Regardie, and Mathers. also search for Kabbalah and Tree of Life.

As for Earth Magic well there are too many versions today to give you an accurate description to the exception that It is Wicca and is various derivations and forms as well as all the supposedly family trads that have been handed down throught the centuries.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 02:40:46 PM by SingingBear » Logged

“We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.” ~Native American Proverb

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mark-Bear-Digatono/158009384218933

http://www.reverbnation.com/singingbearakamarkdigatono
Labrys
Practitioner

C'est Moi!

Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2008, 01:37:31 PM »

I had a boyfiend tell me that all he practices is high magic and all I practice is low magic. Whats the difference?

Perhaps he has looked primarily at Ceremonial Magic, or is coming at it from a theosophical perspective.  Perhaps he is being a smart alek?  In any case, where a lot of this comes from is a particular tradition of high/low or dark/light magic.  White (highest) magic, for instance, is that which is intended only to cement linkages between the practicianer and his/her god(s).  Gray magic (mid-range) is that which has practical significance in day to day life---but generally only for positive results.  And "black" magic was likewise practical stuff....but could have an edge of malice to it.  Both gray and black magic would be 'low' magic.

Briefly, a prayer like rite invoking your higher power (thus the "high" stuff) to enable you to reach your potential fully and 'know' your gods is the highest.  A little spellwork to get a job, make the garden grow, or the like is gray magic.  A little spellwork to bring your neighbor to your bed, curse the badgering buffoon at work, etc would be black(est) sorts of workings.

I think the line is silly.  Only the practical 'affects my life here on the ground' stuff seems worth the work.  If you want to stay oh-so-elevated, hey just go to Church with the Episcopalians and look down on everyone and be done with it.  (Yes, yes, I am a snide, mean old lady---but I do get the job done, teehee!)

Another popular use of such terms as high and low magic refer to the sorts of effects.  Low magic would be 'simples'...spells for making the garden grow, getting the attention of the pretty boy next door and so forth.
High magic would be things of great and noble consequence.  Still, derived from the above basics.

To me, one of the "magic is a tool" school, it is like considering a screwdriver inferior to a hammer.  Silly.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 02:27:24 PM by Labrys » Logged

So much of what I hear qualifies as "undulant rhetoric" that I shall have to make Doris Lessing my patron saint....when she dies, of course.
nikkiwitch
The Wise

Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2008, 01:47:30 PM »

This boyfiend was a smart ass, no doubt about that, hes the one that said he could do anything he wants to me because  he wont
   get any backlash-He knows how to make it so he doesnt get any.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 04:15:43 PM by TheMagickSprite » Logged
Labrys
Practitioner

C'est Moi!

Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2008, 01:56:04 PM »

This boyfiend was a smart ass, no doubt about that, hes the one that said he could do anything he wants to me because  he wont
   get any backlash-He knows how to make it so he doesnt get any.

Well, what a prevaricating self-deceiver, lol.  Because if he is into "high" magic, he must surely know, doing anything less than sterling in ethics will indeed get him a cosmic bitch-slap----by the ethics of the tradition he claimed.  I'd be showing anyone who spoke to me that way the door, and yes, it WOULD hit him in the tailbone on his way out.

I don't pretend, what times I do something "negative" that it is especially ethical, just necessary.  And if I don't get a cosmic smack down, it is either (a) because the cosmos doesn't give a hoot, (b) because I am VERY careful in my wordings/workings or (c) because as an astrologer friend swears---I was born to be THE backlash wielder,  myself, lol!  I never label magic, but if I did I would not label mine "high"......what a bozo.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 04:16:01 PM by TheMagickSprite » Logged

So much of what I hear qualifies as "undulant rhetoric" that I shall have to make Doris Lessing my patron saint....when she dies, of course.
Labrys
Practitioner

C'est Moi!

Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2008, 02:24:14 PM »

Labrys, you're right on..but watch the word choices.  Profanity isn't allowed on this particular board.

Don't you love the ones who think that they can do whatever they want and there won't be any consequences.  The look on their face is always priceless when those consequences come home to roost.  And you're right, working in high magic means that you first have to make sure that your own actions are squeaky clean because if they are not then whatever you call for on someone else is going to happen to you at the same time.

-Lark-

Ooops, sorry.  Does it show I have been playing only in my own sandbox too long??  Guess so! 
Yes, watching the seagulls roost above the 'mouthy high & mighty' ones is indeed rewarding.  Mostly because they are too often so hasty obnoxious that they really DO bring it on themselves.  Will edit posts and be more demurely euphemistic!

fiamma
The Wise

he remains faultless and perfect and whole

WWW Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2008, 05:07:52 PM »

The real names should be Ceremonial and Earth Magic not High and Low Magic. ...

As for Earth Magic well there are too many versions today to give you an accurate description to the exception that It is Wicca and is various derivations and forms as well as all the supposedly family trads that have been handed down throught the centuries.

Actually, "high magic" and "low magic" are commonly used to speak of one or the other.

While there is plenty in the realm of low magic that can be called "earth magic", there is also plenty that is not "earth" magic...so that is  not a particularly accurate umbrella term for all non-ceremonial magic.

My blog: Memories of Pain and Light
http://painandlight.wordpress.com/

Simple acts of devotion will never suffice.
You, I cannot worship by halves.
nikkiwitch
The Wise

Awards
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2008, 05:57:12 PM »

I think the original reason why he said that was because at the time in my life I was most absorbed in doing money magic,
    I needed to do it to survive at the time, he said HE practiced High magic because he wasnt concerned with such earthly thing
    He did things for the universe.Why should he do money magic when he lived at home with mommy and daddy and didnt
    have to pay any bills?
daecon
The Enchanting

Awards
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2008, 06:04:46 PM »

Technically, low magic is magic that works (or at least attempts to work) in the real world.  High magic works on a spiritual level, attempting to "perfect" the spirit of the magician, or improve the world as a whole.  Most modern witches and mages will practice both types of magic, so the distinction is less meaningful now than it was in the past.  These days the terms tend to be used by magicians to indicate their own snootyness.  ie. "High Magick is what I practice, low magic is for you lesser beings. "  Roll Eyes

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.    --Margaret Mead

There's a mugged leprechaun at the end of every rainbow. --shortpacked.com

A good magician never reveals how a trick is done.
An evil magician never leaves any evidence that there was a trick in the first place.
---Master Payne (Phil Foglio's Girl Genius)
nikkiwitch
The Wise

Awards
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2008, 06:20:00 PM »

Yeah he pratices HIGH magic he was always high on grass!
Labrys
Practitioner

C'est Moi!

Awards
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2008, 06:51:59 PM »

Why should he do money magic when he lived at home with mommy and daddy and didnt
    have to pay any bills?

Oh, that sounds so terribly familiar an attitude.  You did show him the door, right?  Spoilt brat...

nikkiwitch
The Wise

Awards
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2008, 12:05:18 PM »

OH yes. After a year of his insulting remarks, I will say one thing he was very good at making himself look good

Id be mad at him and as soon as he called or came to the door Id forget all about it and want to be with him.My

friend said he was a master of fascination spells-but thats all.
Labrys
Practitioner

C'est Moi!

Awards
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2008, 12:51:32 PM »

.My friend said he was a master of fascination spells-but thats all.

Never blame spellwork when perfectly day to day biological chemistry will explain it all as well! Cheesy

Lucy Drake
Practitioner

Awards
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2008, 02:07:36 PM »

Well There is the idea that there is "Head" magic. And "heart" magik. Rather than High or Low. I think it is pretty that way.

Anyone can use a jewel encrusted ritual dagger, it takes a real witch to use a potatoe peeler.

Granny Weatherwax
SingingBear
The Blessed

Will you say grace?

Awards
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2008, 02:16:50 PM »

Ceremonial and "Folk" or Earth Magic are much better descriptors to me. I detest the idea that someone would place themselves above me by using the terms High or Low. What gives them the right?
Keep in mind folks I was told that the terms High and Low Magic were misnomers over 18 years ago.
The people I worked with were very sticky about Ritualism and Terminology at that time so it has stuck ever since.
thats my 2 cents if you care to hear it or not.

“We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.” ~Native American Proverb

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mark-Bear-Digatono/158009384218933

http://www.reverbnation.com/singingbearakamarkdigatono
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx gfx
Content & Graphics © 2000-2013 TheMagickSprite. All Rights Reserved.